Monday, October 4, 2010

Monster Hunter: Regional Differences


Like DVDs, video games have something like region codes. These prevent people in different countries from playing another region's version of the game. And unlike DVD region codes - which are meant to prevent piracy - video game regions are mostly meant as a way to show regional favoritism.

When I first browsed the weapons in Monster Hunter Tri, I was thrilled to see Tessaiga. With a little work, I could literally be killing monsters with Inuyasha's sword. Granted, it wouldn't have the awesome special attacks, but that didn't matter to me.

Mostly because I'd be yelling, "Wind Scar!" myself before every swing.

Unfortunately, only players in Japan get to use Tessaiga. I'd be forced to use the United States counterpart. I didn't bother looking up what that was, but I'm relatively sure it's not an awesome Inuyasha-related sword crafted from one of his father's fangs.

Heck - I'd even settle for Tensaiga, and all that would do is revive monsters I've already killed.

The point (if I haven't belabored it enough) is that regional differences in games aren't fair. I pay as much as they do in Japan. I should get access to culture-specific references that don't carry over to this country, too.

And yes, I'm aware I just defeated my own point with that last paragraph.

6 comments:

  1. Pfft :P The Sinister Saints are so badass that they own any other weapon ever. ever.
    http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Sinister_Saints

    The Tenebra is pretty sick too! (The replacement of the Tessiaga). I was sad when I found out it wasn't a Great Sword tho :P
    http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Tenebra

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I pay as much as they do in Japan."

    Not exactly. MH3 costed 7,340 yen ($88) when it came out in Japan. It's only something like $40-50 in the US for the English version. On top of that, The Japanese are required to have to pay to play online. So no, you do not pay as much as they do in Japan. Not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Smavey - To be fair, Tenebra is pretty sweet - that was probably my favorite of the US/EU version weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous - (Popular name, by the way.) That's technically true. But still, I'd have chipped in some extra money for a Tessaiga.

    As my father was NOT a legendary dog demon and left me no amazingly awesome swords, games are the only place I can get my fix...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is the Kazaana in German? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the first anonymous posted about japan's money, they were right. They DO pay much more than we do. However, they also make more money. Basically, it pretty much evens out. While they pay more, they make more. Also, I was VERY dissapointed when I couldn't play with a Tessaiga blade. I also liked lightning works better than rising soul, but not much. All-in-All, I have to agree with you. They should include the same weaponry for each region. There is no way we can get a sword we would otherwise want, except for hacking, which I don't know how, nor will learn how to do.

    ReplyDelete