Friday, September 10, 2010

Monster Hunter: Difficulty Changes


Video game difficulty can be tricky. If you make it too easy, people will be breezing through it in under two hours and be bored. If you make it too hard, it will be that "Indiana Jones" game for the Atari that was pretty much unbeatable without the reflexes of a demigod.

"Monster Hunter Tri" has the balance fairly well, though it's not always consistent. The first few things you fight, for example, are a joke. By the end, though, you'll be frantically trying to avoid two-hit kills from super-powered monsters that are so large and powerful they affect local weather.

In short, we need some tweaks. Hard.

Great Jaggi and Gobul need to be harder. And Melynxes need to start randomly stealing my items. I'm sick of them targeting the best thing in my inventory to swipe every single time. I realize there's not much incentive for them to steal my least cool things, but still - they could meet me halfway on this. Despite them focusing on me during every battle, I've yet to actually attack one. Why do they hate me so?

And yes, I picked on the Great Jaggi again - that guy is ripe for comedy.

6 comments:

  1. ummmm... i don't wanna forget to store an azure dragon gem and end up having those dam felines getting theirs paws on them...i know! i'll get a guard deviljho!!! those cats r screwed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can they take crafting materials that drop from monsters? I've never seen it happen. But wow. That would really suck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the need to point out that the first Great Jaggi my roommate and I fought kicked the crap out of us.

    Admittedly I was wearing leather pants and swinging a pile of rust at it, but was still intimidating at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was actually the same for me. But I was also under the false impression that my HP would outlast an enemy "boss" like in most games. And like you, yes, I was swinging rust at it - not the most effective weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are actually fairly dangerous if you haven't learned to dodge the shoulder-block.

    I'm convinced the sound you hear before they do it is actually the hermit standing on a ridge yelling "HEY!" to warn you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly wouldn't mind gobuls using food as their lure. it would make breaking the lure all the more worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete