Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Things I Miss: World of Warcraft


My third year of college was - for all intents and purposes - one long game of "World of Warcraft." Somewhere between finding treasure and slaying things, I found time to pass my courses. At least, that's what my transcripts later said. I have no actual recollection of the classes that led to this fact.

That was my video game hayday. Since then, I really haven't found the time to be that obsessed about any game. "World of Warcraft" in particular, I haven't played in a long time. I'm convinced there's no way to play it except obsessively. Being in a relationship - not to mention needing to occasionally eat, sleep and shower - doesn't leave me time for such obsessions.

But there are definitely times I miss it. And why not? Everything in that game is so immediately rewarding. Killing something gives me gold. Finishing a quest gives me experience and items.

Real life is rarely so rewarding. Sure, I kill a lot of bugs and such, but the drops are lousy. And then I have to clean them up.

Even that snake didn't give me anything good.

With the next expansion pack looming, I'm tempted to get back into it. Though I would also be single within a few months, so maybe not. Of course, if I can convince Jess to play, all bets are off.

3 comments:

  1. ive also preemptively warned my gf, and shes started preemptively ridiculing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a spitfire. But if she has the energy to ridicule, she has the energy to play Warcraft. I suggest she joins our Worgen pack and slaughter our enemies alongside us.

    There are plenty of Worgen pun names to go around.

    ReplyDelete