Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Monster Hunter: Fun Trivia


When it comes to video games, I believe the best ones can be picked up and played without even reading the instruction manual. I used to think the manuals were a fun way to spend the agonizing ride home from the video game store. But now that I'm driving - and reading while at the wheel is a bit dangerous - the system has sort of broken down a bit.

Some months down the line, I consider myself reasonably well-versed in all things Monster Hunter Tri. Every now and then I'll still learn something, but I do okay. Many of the things I know now, I wish I could go back and teach myself. For example, if you really have to pee, there's a way to pause.

It's not necessary to finish an entire half-hour fight while doing the "bathroom dance."

Today's comic was meant to demonstrate a few lesser-known facts about the game. While trial and error is fine, I think it's best to skip it whenever possible. Neither "trial" nor "error" sounds all that pleasant, if you really think about it.

It's also worth mentioning that every lesson here is based on a true story from my own gameplay experience. This is all the more reason to share this information. There are better ways to learn about nasty Rhenoplos habits than being stepped on repeatedly during a fight.

What are some of your hard-learned lessons? I won't judge you. (I've done worse.) And if it's particularly funny, the lesson may even end up in a comic, too.

9 comments:

  1. theres almost no point for the veggie elder. whatsoever. :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure there is, to give away felvine bombs!
    no no, I've gotten cool drinks, mega pickaxes, and other actual good items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was fun in the Volcano before I realized he would take my Powderstones. I was just doing the whole "button-press until he shuts up" thing and sudden my rock is gone. It took me a while to figure out what happened there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my fact: the second you lay a trap down there is a 90% chance that the monster will change zones within the next 5 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BT Esq aka BipolarattorneyOctober 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

    @(first) Anonymous: To elaborate on some of the other comments, Veggie Elder is great in volcano quests when you forget cool drinks... you can trade powderstones for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the Veggie Elder in the Volcano sucked compared to the others. I mean, he had a lot of stuff you really needed, which was great. But unlike in the Tundra and Desert, he was all the way in the last area almost. It was sort of nice to have him right at base camp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a monster hunter life lesson. My friend Furo found out that a good way to escape a deviljho is to dive underwater. he then found out the deviljho's rock throw move can STILL kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fact: Just because you can't SEE the deviljho, doesn't mean the qurupeco can't summon it. repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am starting to think Cha Cha with the False Felyne Mask will blow you up on purpose just to ruin your combo hits(great sword charges especially)…. Chucking bombs everywhere is by far the most annoying thing I have had to deal with as a blademaster!

    ReplyDelete