Sunday, September 26, 2010

Monster Hunter: The Honor System


Nothing takes the air out of a hunt faster than having that big red "Quest Failed" message pop onto your screen.

From a gameplay perspective, I get it. Having a time limit means more of a challenge. It prevents people from safely whittling down monster health over the course of several hours. In the game world, though, it seems arbitrary and stupid - it baffles me.

A lot of the quest orders mention a monster attacking a city, trade convoy or other important location. Of course, I understand that if your city is being terrorized, you want the monster killed. But why does the monster have to be dead in 50 minutes? What's happening in 51 minutes that's so damned important?

And it's not just the time limit. It's the precise time of 50 minutes. Why not a full hour? Why such an arbitrary amount of time? So...why not 52 minutes, or 46 minutes?

In happier news, as you may have noticed, this is a rare "nerding for the weekend" post. I'm happy to announce the blog has zoomed past 5000 views! And I do mean zoomed. Because in the amount of time between hitting the milestone and posting this, I'm already well over 5500 hits.

As always, I'd like to thank the fans. And it's not just because you read. But I'd also like to thank you all for being so good-looking, intelligent and good at sports.

Also, thanks for letting me suck up to you...

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! That time limit has definitely stressed me out too many times... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked around. Apparently, people are fairly indifferent to the time limit. I admit that I only really have trouble on the top monsters when I'm trying to break all their parts, but I was still surprised.

    Maybe I was the only one having time run out with my monsters limping and one hit from death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw it's definitely happened to me too! Especially offline! Online with 4 people it's usually not a big issue :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew. I'm glad it wasn't just me. Though I've definitely gotten to a point now where it's not a big problem.

    Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made up a theory.

    since we all go to the quest location by airship, and because the airship is taking us back again, maybe you have 50 minutes before the fuel runs out. and being stuck on a piece of land with a dead alatreon next to you isn't going to be comfortable i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. Maybe they have a time limit to pick you up or they assume you're dead or something. Or the airships could even just be watching you, hovering above and keeping tabs on what you're doing and timing you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once tried to kill a offline gaan 50 time and everytime he limps to his lair time runs out so is said "screw it i'm capping!" and i captured it and won XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a popular thought that the 50 minutes are actually hours. We just see them "faster". You wouldn't kill a giant dinosaur in an hour, right?

    Also, it may be because if hunters don't come back before a specific time, the Guild considers them dead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what I don't get is why are the hunters COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE once their quests complete? I once killed a qurupeco as a deviljho entered the area and just laughed as it attempted to roflstomp my now invincible hunter.

    ReplyDelete